Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Issue 322 – Lost rucksack sparks off bomb scare

THE 24-year-old man whose abandoned rucksack sparked off a bomb scare in Frome town centre on the morning of 6th March, has apologised for his actions.

Frome police contacted a bomb squad after discovering the rucksack, which had been left by a vehicle in the Market Place, at 8.40am on Sunday 6th March. They called in the Royal Logistic Corps Tidworth Bomb Disposal Team to deal with the incident.
Police cordoned off a 100m perimeter while explosive detection handlers searched for any further suspicious devices in the area as the RLC performed a controlled explosion disrupter.
A spokesperson from the Tidworth Bomb Disposal Team said, “All events we are called out to are treated as improvised explosive devices, where a controlled explosion is used to neutralise any threat.”
The owner of the rucksack, Jamie Barnes, had lost his rucksack the previous evening and when he returned the next day, found that the area had been cordoned off to deal with a bag that had been found.
The town centre was closed for four hours during the operation.
Jamie told Fromepeople,“I feel very embarrassed, ashamed and I am very sorry for the trouble my actions have caused.
“The police gave me telling off and I will definitely take more care with my belongings in the future.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login