Stay connected

Bedminster First XI (178-4) beat Frome First XI (178 all out) by six wickets

Frome showed a dramatic improvement on the previous week’s showing but still went down by six wickets to runaway leaders Bedminster on Saturday.

After losing the toss and being asked to bat first, the new look opening partnership of Neal and Gullock started in circumspect fashion against the Bedminster paceman. After five overs Frome lost Gullock but Neal and Bleakley saw off the opening pair.

After Neal departed Bleakley and Paul Sanger took Frome through to drinks at 80-2 and a good platform. Shortly after drinks Frome lost Sanger for 21, and after Bleakley had reached an excellent fifty he was trapped LBW for 57. Frome were still well-placed but lost wickets at regular intervals. Smith (12), Smart (28), Quinn (15) and Watts (13) all got starts but couldn’t go on, and Frome were eventually bowled out for 178 with an over to spare.

On a flat surface and quick outfield Frome would have to bowl and field well to stand a chance.

They picked up two early wickets to leave the home side in some trouble at 22-2. First Elphick was smartly caught at mid-wicket by Gullock off Neal, before Wheeler bowled Alleyne (10).

From there Bedminster continued to play positively as Kamuni in particular punished anything off line. Watts, Bleakley and Mark Sanger bowled well but with no reward as the score moved past 100 for no further loss. Frome stuck to their task, and were eventually rewarded when Tryfonds skewed a catch off Sanger to Wheeler at point, but the home side continued towards their target.

Kamuni reached fifty before being bowled by Edwards to give Frome another point, but the home side eventually wrapped up the victory by four wickets.

Frome moved a further two points clear of Minehead at the bottom of the table, who they face in a huge game at home next Saturday.

Frome First XI were comprehensively bested by Bishopston on Saturday 18th July.

After winning the toss and batting first Frome were put to the sword by some impressive fast bowling from Khurshid and Adams and what turned out to be an indifferent surface. David Dredge (0) was trapped LBW misjudging a ball he left, before Bleakley (1) was caught in the gully off one that bounced.  When Dan Dredge (4) was bowled by a good delivery from Khursid and Paul Sanger was LBW to the same bowler for 2 Frome were in trouble at 16-4.

Gullock and Smart battled hard against some quality seam bowling but soon departed for 8 and 4 respectively. Joe Quinn followed shortly after for 2 and the innings was in tatters at 38-7.

Frome eventually reached 54 before the final three wickets fell.

In reply Frome’s opening partnership of Neal and Wheeler ran in hard and found early swing. Bishopston’s batters went hard at the bowling looking to make short work of the small target, and reached 25 before Wenham miscued off Wheeler and was caught by Bleakley.

Both bowlers continued to pass the edge but couldn’t pick up a further wicket, until the introduction of David Dredge saw O’Brien smash the ball straight to Paul Sanger who took a smart catch at mid wicket to give Frome a solitary point.

Bishopston eventually chased down the total just two wickets down.