Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Developers continue push for Saxonvale

An artist's impression of the new development

An artist’s impression of the new development

ANOTHERproposal has been unveiled for Frome’s Saxonvale site, by developers who have both had previous applications for the area rejected.

Housebuilders McCarthy & Stone and Terramond have this time joined forces to try and build a 65-bed care home, approximately 42 one and two bed retirement apartments, and 37 flats and town houses on the site.

The proposal was unveiled on the same day that a controversial plan to build a supermarket on the site was withdrawn in December. 26 people attended the public exhibition held at Rook Lane Chapel on 15th December.

Huw Thomas, director of Terramond said, “The exhibition demonstrated that residents and local community figures are excited about Frome’s prospects in the near future, to which these proposals contribute. People want to see quality development as soon as possible, done in the right way.”

“Our proposals are separate from the Frontier Estates application. Terramond and McCarthy & Stone have cooperated closely on these proposals so that Saxonvale can be redeveloped as comprehensively as possible and in line with the approved masterplan brief.”

The companies say the new proposal has been produced in response to officers’ comments on their previous applications.

The residential scheme is considered to be ‘respectful to the character of Frome’, to have ideal transport links and proximity to the town centre, and to provide ‘much-needed’ retired living accommodation.

It is also claimed that the focus on retirement housing will mean a low level of car ownership and traffic, and more housing being released back into the local market.

Shane Paull, McCarthy & Stone’s regional managing director said, “The public exhibition was an excellent opportunity for us to understand the views of the local community and I would like to take this opportunity to thank people for their constructive comments and questions.

“We have worked hard to ensure our proposals represent a sensitive redevelopment which complements the character of the local area. We have learned from the previous planning decisions and believe that our new proposals are a huge improvement.”

McCarthy & Stone says that on average its developments bring around £5million into the local economy, and numerous jobs are created during construction and afterwards.

No planning application has been submitted yet, but the proposals can be seen online at www.mccarthyandstone-consultation.co.uk/frome.

McCarthy & Stone has applied before to build 36 retirement apartments on the site, but the application was refused in 2014 and the appeal thrown out in May last year.

Terramond applied to build 60 homes on the site, and had its application refused in March last year. The firm did not appeal the decision.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login