Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Saturday 16th Dec. Evo-Stik Premier Farnborough 5 Frome Town 3

There’s no shortage of goals in Frome matches these days, and with 15 having been scored in their last two matches, another eight came along today, with Frome unfortunately being on the end of a 5-3 defeat at Farnborough, after leading 2-1 in the 63rd with a brace from Jake Jackson.

Frome were still missing the suspended Mitchell Page and the injured George Miller, but at least they could look forward to the return in January of Connor Roberts as the transfer window opens, and apart form those, the squad looked very similar to normal.

After applying early pressure, Frome took the lead on nine minutes as Ollie Knight unselfishly set up Jake Jackson to score from close range, but as the hosts started to come into the game, a shot went close following a free kick into the wall and Kyle Phillips had to deal with a couple of corners that were swung in dangerously.

However, Frome were also having their chances and a Chas Hemmings header brought a save from Aiden Upward, but then Farnborough equalised in the 35th as a throw-in was reversed and they broke through to score with Dan Walker applying the final touch.

Frome now went looking for another goal and Upward then made three saves in the space of a minute to keep out a Jon Davies shot, a header from Hemmings and a shot from Joe Raynes, any of which could have gone in the net on another day, but none did and the scores were level at 1-1  at the interval.

After Sam Teale had headed a corner just over in the 48th, Frome made it 2-1 in the 63rd as Jackson produced a beauty into the top corner from the edge of the box after he had latched onto a long ball over the defence. But conceding immediately has become a bit of a bad habit for Frome recently and Farnborough substitute, Perry Coles, duly equalised virtually from the kick off.

At 2-2 it was all to play for, but Farnborough then moved into the driving seat as their veteran, much-travelled striker Jamie Cureton bundled in a left wing cross after Frome had failed to clear their lines and he popped up again three minutes later to make it 4-2 after a shot from outside the box had cannoned down off the cross bar almost straight to him.

Frome pulled it back to 4-3 in the 79th as Marcus Mapstone scored with a trademark header at the far post after Hemmings headed a free kick back across the goal after Knight had been upended and a fighting comeback was on the cards. But a Liam Bellamy free kick from close to the corner deceived everyone including Phillips in the 82nd and the host scored their 5th to seal the 5-3 win.

Winger Ollie Knight was awarded the H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award for a good game-creating chances and continually causing problems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *