Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Sat. 6th Oct. Wadworth 6x Southern Counties South Frome 1st RFC 26 Walcot RFC 8

Story posted on

In front of a large crowd of vice-presidents (VPs) and guests, Frome RFC looked to build on the previous week’s wins and started strongly from the outset.

Dominating the early exchanges with both the forwards and backs carrying hard, the early endeavours were rewarded when, after a penalty to the corner ,Hooker Will Button was driven over the line for the first points of the day. 

The home side continued to apply pressure and increased the lead to 12 points when the Frome pack put pressure on the visitors at a 5 metre scrum and with the opposition being penalised for collapsing, the referee awarded a penalty try. Walcot looked threatening when they had the ball in hand and following a rare visit to Frome territory, got on the score sheet with a penalty after an infringement at the breakdown. 

Frome replied well and continued to dominate, with the back line causing lots of trouble all day for the Bath-based side, notably Inside Centre and Man of the Match, Mike Rutt. With half time rapidly approaching, the home crowd would see more points for the men in red, white and black, when Flanker Robert James crossed over from close range. 

Following the half time break, the visitors were the first to get on the scoreboard with a try in the corner by the Walcot winger. Frome continued to press forward and were rewarded with another try between the posts by Second Row James Howard, which was duly converted by Dan Arbury. Frome spent the remainder of the match in control, but the Walcot defence held strong on the home side and were unable to add to their tally despite a number of close calls.

Head coach Toby Culff said, “This certainly wasn’t a vintage performance and we struggled to find our rhythm, especially in the early stages. However, we eventually got into gear and we dominated the first half, despite not being at our best. 

“We also started the 2nd half slowly and it was disappointing to concede soft penalties, possession and ultimately a very avoidable try. That said, I never felt the result was in question and we were worthy winners. 

“It’s a mark of how far this group of players has come that they were frustrated with their day’s work, even though the scoreline was such a convincing one. They’ve set themselves high standards this season, which is to be admired, but they must also remember to enjoy their victories. 

“In patches, they again played some superb rugby, and to win three games in a row is a creditable achievement. The team should feel excited and confident about the next tranche of fixtures, which begins on the 20th with a tricky away fixture against local rivals Bradford-on-Avon.”

Frome take on league newcomers

Sat 29th Sept. Wadworth 6X Southern Counties South 

Thatcham  18 

Frome 1st 27

Frome RFC 1st XV travelled to meet league new boys Thatcham RFC, looking to build on the win against  Swindon College Old Boys RFC early in the month. 

The visitors started strongly, with the Frome pack dominating the early exchanges with the Front Row combination of Will Button, Matt King and George Benstead and were able to build a platform for Scrum Half and Man of the Match, Luc Thomas, to dart over for the opening try. 

The home side responded and reduced the deficit through a penalty, after Frome were judged to have offended at the breakdown. Frome continued to press through the forwards and increased the lead when Winger Calum Bonallo broke through to touch down. With the end of the first half approaching, Rob Sully broke through 3 tacklers to score in the corner. 

Frome were happy to turn around 15-3 to the good, however the home side started strongly and scored 2 tries to level the scores. However Frome regained the initiative, with the forwards carrying hard and a break by Second Row James Howard set up a position under the posts.  With a opportunity to cross over, Scum Half Thomas sniped around the edge to score under the posts, the try duly converted by Captain John Benstead. A further penalty by the home side reduced the deficit, but Frome completed the scoring when, after slick handling by Centres Rutt and Frost put Winger Ben Tiley for an easy score in the corner.

Final Score: Thatcham RFC 1st 18 – 27 Frome RFC 1st. 

Head coach Tony Culff said, “In my time working with the squad, we’ve not before strung two performances of this quality together in consecutive weeks. The team played with great composure, intensity and efficiency. Every player fulfilled his role with excellence. 

“We allowed Thatcham back into the game during a brief slack period in the second half, but we created dozens of scoring opportunities and, as last week, the only disappointment is that we could and should have converted more. 

“The challenge before the team now is to maintain the momentum and these high standards, and not to become at all complacent. Though we’ve a good recent record against Walcot, I’m expecting our fixture against them next Saturday to be an extremely demanding one. 

“We can’t afford to relax. Enormous credit goes to everyone who represented Frome RFC this weekend, and to the management and coaching staff who offer such critical support.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *