Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Sat. 19th January. Wadworth 6X Southern Counties South West Division Walcot RFC 8 Frome RFC 18

Story posted on

The Frome RFC 1st travelled to Bath on Saturday to meet old rivals Walcot RFC 1st, looking to consolidate their second place in the league against the side currently in third.

After the early exchanges, the home side had the first opportunity to score when Frome were adjudged to have offended at the breakdown, but the penalty kick at posts drifted wide. 

Frome started to build the phases and were awarded a penalty of their own which Second Row James Howard converted to give the visitors the lead. 

Frome continued to dominate through the work of their Forwards, led by man of the match No.8 Phil Meenan alongside the returning Scrum Half and Captain John Benstead. 

After a period of pressure on the Walcot line, the ball was worked out to the waiting backline, and it was Inside Centre Ali Frost who crashed over. The home side got themselves on the scoreboard shortly after as the end of the first half approached when they were awarded a penalty which they converted. 

The half finished with Frome attacking the Walcot tryline once again, but were held out by some ferocious defence from the home side. 

Frome started strongly in the second half but Walcot levelled the scores when their Winger collected a cross field kick to dot down in the corner. 

Frome responded immediately and were back in the Walcot half and were rewarded with a penalty converted by Howard after an infringement by the home side’s Flanker. Walcot continued to look threatening and were only kept out due to some superb tackling by Full Back Dominic Jones and Winger Rob Sully. 

With replacements coming off the bench, the Frome pack gained the upper hand once again with Alex Mallon and Ross Toten dominating the breakdown. After regaining possession and a concerted period of pressure, Meenan was driven over for a try converted by Howard. 

Final Score: Walcot RFC 1st 8 – 18 Frome RFC 1st

The Man of The Match award, sponsored by The Old Bath Arms, Frome, went to Phil Meenan.

Head coach Toby Culff  said “Our record against Walcot has been very good in recent seasons but the games have invariably been tight and hard fought, especially at their place. They’ve had a great run of results and have climbed into third place, and we were expecting a tough afternoon in the difficult Landsdown conditions. We got exactly what we’d anticipated. This was a great match between two excellent teams and, though I felt we had the edge throughout, it was extremely uncomfortable to watch.

“Walcot’s backline was young and quick, and the forwards tackled exceedingly well and challenged us at the breakdown. We had to play exceptionally well, and for the full 80 minutes, to prevail. This was a terrific performance from all 18 squad members, and our replacements had a big impact in the second half. This was as much a test of resolve, determination and courage as it was a test of rugby ability, and the players should derive enormous confidence from their superb performance, particularly in defence. With 8 games left, I hope they carry this confidence forward, and continue to play with the same degree of intensity and commitment. Congratulations must also go to our 2nd team for adding another victory to their unbeaten campaign, and extending their lead at the top of the table.”

The Frome RFC 1st hold onto 2nd place in Southern Counties South and welcome Bradford on Avon RFC 1st, currently sitting in 12th, to Gypsy Lane with a 1415 kick off. 

Pictured – Man of the match Phil Meenan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *