Widgetized Section

Covid testing unit coming to Frome

Story posted on

A MOBILE Covid-19 testing unit will be opening in Frome next week.

Map of one-way traffic route into and out of testing site – shown in green

The mobile testing unit will be located in the car park next to the cricket club and will be open from Wednesday 23rd September for six weeks.

Frome Town Council is working with Somerset County Council to set up a temporary one-way traffic system for people coming to get tested.

The town council reports, “Vehicles will come into the Showfield via the access lane off Berkley Road, opposite Frome Football Club. They will then follow a marked route across the Showfield down to the testing unit. They will leave via the main gate near the cricket club (joining Rodden Road).

“This means some parts of the Showfield will be temporarily closed off. There will be restrictions to some of the paths up by the football pitch, this is to ensure those on foot are kept away from vehicles entering. Access to the path alongside Selwood Academy can be gained via the orchard. Additionally, there will be no parking facilities at the cricket club while the testing unit is in place.

“We’re sorry if this causes any disappointment or inconvenience but working with the NHS and the county council to set up a local testing station is, we hope you’ll agree, really important.

“The testing unit will be set up for six weeks and will be open on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 10am – 4pm; although this could change based on demand and circumstances.”

About booking a test the town council says, “If you have symptoms and need a test, you will need to book this prior to arriving. Please do not just turn up as you will be turned away. To book a test please visit the government’s Covid test page: www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

“If you’re getting a test because you have symptoms, you and anyone you live with must self-isolate until you get your result. This also applies to anyone in your support bubble.”

9 Responses to Covid testing unit coming to Frome

1. Mrs Katherine Carter

September 20, 2020 at 4:00 pm

How on earth do we get our children to Selwood now? I have to drop ny child at the top gate for 8.40vam then be in Beckington for my job at 9am?
    This is utterly ridiculous as we have the town centre out of action too! I’m not a magician

2. Jonathan

September 21, 2020 at 11:13 am

@Katherine Carter

Why don’t you drop off at the clinic car park? You’ll probably find it quicker and safer than the cricket ground (if that is what you mean by top gate) for drop off.

No magic required 🙂

3. Rachael Simper

October 2, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Dear organisers of COBID-19 testing in Frome,

I live at Keyford in Frome, and I am familiar with some parts of Rodden Road.I am familiar with Berkley Road. However,using a Denton’s map and the directions published in the 1st October Frome Times,I have not been able to locate the Cricket Ground.

I shall be walking to the testing site. Could you please, for people like me, put up visually obvious arrowed signs in the vicinity of the testing centre to lead us to you.
    Many thanks, V Rachael Simper

4. Kathryn

October 3, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Hi Rachel
    The cricket club is behind the Vine Tree pub. Walk north towards the Bath Rd / Fromefield junction with the pub on your left and you will see it on your left before you get to the hospital entrance.

5. Kathryn

October 3, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Sorry. Can’t tell left from right! Pub and cricket club on RIGHT

6. vera

October 5, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Hi
    I have tried to book a slot online but the Frome testing site doesn’t show up, instead I got Salisbury or Bath.
    How can I book a slot?

7. charlotte

October 13, 2020 at 4:44 am

Hello
    I have tried to book a slot online but the Frome testing site doesn’t show up, instead I have to go to Bristol
    How can I book a slot in Frome?

8. Martin Wickham

October 14, 2020 at 9:58 am

Hi Charlotte
    I had the same problem. Try again after 9pm. I managed to get a slot for the next day

9. Martin Wickham

October 14, 2020 at 10:02 am

As the designated exit point appears to be through the height restricted gate. How do we leave if driving a vehicle that is too tall???