Stay connected

Robins progress in Somerset Cup

Street 1 -3 Frome Town  Tue. 1st Oct. – Calor Somerset Premier Cup 

Two goals from new signing Aidan Kirby helped Frome to a 3-1 victory over Street after going behind to a goal early in the first half.

With Lloyd Chamberlain managing the squad for the second match in a row, this looked like it was going to prove a tough encounter as Street have made a perfect start to their Toolstation Premier season having won seven games out of seven, though the Frome faithful were pleased to hear that Frome legend and all time top scorer Mark Salter was unavailable for Street on the night. Several changes were made to the squad with Scott Armstrong coming into goal in place of Darren Chitty and Mark Cooper, Matt Smith, Ryan Laville, Ben Wood and Dean Flockton all being rested with a view to Saturday’s away match at Hitchin. Frome also included new signing Army player Aidan Kirby at centre forward, and in the first phases of the match he looked sharp and mobile with several impressive touches as Frome made most of the running. However, Street’s first attack of the match resulted in a goal as Jamie Brown caused problems in the Frome box, only for the ball to run kindly to left back Jack Malone who hit a low, skidding shot from outside the box that Scott Armstrong could only help into the far corner. Armstrong did well in the 26th minute to deny Dave Pearse as he saved for a corner and was on hand to tidy up as the corner was swung in dangerously, and although Frome seemed to be having more of the possession and territory, Street looked as if they might score again at any time.

However, the equaliser arrived just before half time as a mazy run from Brandon Mundy saw him taken down in the box, and Kirby made no mistake as he hammered the ball into the net from the penalty.

The 55th minute saw Armstrong again do well to get a hand to a low Street shot that was destined for the far corner, but Frome took the lead four minutes later as a cross from the right found Aaron Ledgister who hit the ball hard back across the penalty area, and Kirby bent low to head home the ball from a distance of about a yard, with the Street players appealing loudly for an offside flag. Street were reduced to 10 men in the 71st minute as Ben Amghar was shown a second yellow for hand ball, and Frome made the most of the numerical advantage as they started to control the match.

Street’s Nathan Whatley made a great save in the 73rd minute to deny substitute Johnny Oliver, but he was powerless to prevent the Frome sealing the win with seconds to go as Oliver hit a left foot shot that took a deflection into the net.

The H&B Tyres Man of the Man Award was awarded to Aidan Kirby for a very impressive debut at centre forward.