Stay connected

Frome Town 1-2 Chippenham Town – Red Insure Cup 1st Round, Weds 16th Oct.

Although Frome were runners up in this Red Insure Cup competition last season, they fell at the first hurdle this year as Chippenham Town recovered from a 1-0 deficit to take a deserved 2-1 victory.

Frome rested several players in this match, with recent signing  Simon Millard starting at number 6 and James Rustell taking his place on the bench for the first time this season.

Chippenham started brightly with Tom Knighton having the first chance as he turned and shot across the face of the goal, the ball just evading the far post. Darren Chitty was called into action in the 15th minute as he produced a great save to deny Knighton as he cut into the box and shot after Frome were slow to clear the ball on the left.

Frome’s first chance came two minutes later as a Ben Wood snapshot just missed the post, but a minute later he scored one of the great goals as a header set him free to run on goal, and as Ben John advanced to meet him, Wood produced a perfect chip over the keeper from just outside the penalty area landed squarely in the net. Chippenham then started to get the upper hand in midfield and two clear cut chances sent out a warning message, and although neither ended in the net, marginal offside flags would have ruled them out anyway.

Four minutes from half time saw an amazing period of play as Darren Chitty produced two spectacular saves as the ball pinged around in the Frome area, and when it seemed certain that Chippenham would score, Joe Tumelty managed to put a header wide from several yards out.

However, Chippenham were not to be denied, and they scored on the stroke of half time as Lee Phillips advanced unmarked onto a through ball and struck a low shot under the diving body of Chitty to equalise.

Chippenham had most of the possession and territory at the start of the second half and they capitalised with a goal in the 61st minute as a low cross from the left wing was poked home from close range by Tom Knighton.

Frome looked to get back on even terms, but Chippenham were effective in midfield and defence, and at times the robust tackling threatened to get a little out of hand, but the referee maintained control and as the match moved towards the final whistle, Frome had their best spell of the match as they forced three corners in quick succession but were unable to find the goal that would take the match directly into penalties with no extra time.