Stay connected

Boreham Wood 1-0 Frome Town – FA Cup 3QR Replay, Mon. 13th Oct.

Carrying on from their excellent performance on Saturday, gallant Frome gave it their all but just failed on the night as Boreham’s Lee Angol scored the only goal of the match and the FA Cup journey was over for another season.

The match was played in absolutely atrocious conditions that worsened as the game wore on, and the standard of football produced was a credit to both sides, with Frome looking more like the high flying Vanarama Conference South side for the opening 20 minutes, with Boreham left paddling in the water that the pitch was holding.

Frome tore at Boreham from the off, with a dangerous cross from Matt Smith punched behind for a corner inside the first minute by James Russell. The dangerous Ben Thomson then intercepted a weak Callum Reynolds header meant for Russell who did well to get back behind the ball and make the save.

Another dangerous attack came from Kris Miller and Jon Vance combining down the right, with the latter’s shot blocked by Ricky Shakes for a corner, then Boreham’s Austin Lipman surged forward playing a fine ball into the stride of Graeme Montgomery who drew a fine save from the excellent Darren Chitty in the 21st.

Boreham continued to look dangerous and took the lead with a goal started and finished by Lee Angol. He skipped past a challenge, played a one two with Montgomery before seeing his shot blocked as far as Lipman who was also denied by a defender. The goal mouth scramble was won by Angol who took his second chance well, finding space to shoot low into the net after 25 minutes.

Boreham enjoyed the one goal cushion briefly with Reynolds heading just over from Montgomery’s free kick before the visitors threatened again. It took a good challenge from Cox to deny Brandon Mundy before Thomson sent Aaron Rodriguez through on goal. His shot from the left had the beating of Russell but struck the post.

Cox had an effort saved before Angol missed a great chance to double the advantage just before the break. He intercepted a poor cross field ball from a defender on the right and with Chitty off his line snatched at his shot which flew over the bar.

With Frome’s defence now working overtime, a ball in from the right by Junior Morias  was left by Angol only for  Shakes to blast over the bar, then a 50 yard ball from Reynolds was perfect for Montgomery whose first time cross was met by Angol who with only Chitty to beat guided his effort high of the target. Frome had a huge chance to equalise  in the 75th as Thomson’s cross from the right came off a defender straight to an unmarked Mark Cooper who steered his shot wide of the left hand post, but then Morias stung the hands of Chitty who conceded a corner from which Reynolds saw his effort cleared off the line by a defender at the far post.

The never say die Robins mounted a late challenge as Thomson twisted and turned into the penalty area only to be denied by a recovering challenge from Josh Hill, and then Boreham’s last failed attempt at adding a second came when Matty Whichelow raced up field travelling 70 yards with the ball before laying on the easiest of finishes for Morias who was denied his third goal in as many games by the offside flag.