Stay connected

Corby Town 3-0 Frome Town – Southern Premier League, Sat. 21st February

Only goal difference tonight prevents Frome Town from slipping into the relegation zone as the long trip to in-form, third placed Corby Town produced a slightly predictable 3-0 defeat.

Frome were pleased to welcome new signing Anthony Tonkin to the side and he started at left back in place of the Dylan Bonella. Josh Morgan-Williams also returned to the side and took his place at number 10 in place of the suspended Ollie Taylor. Kris Miller returned to the bench after injury.

After Darren Chitty had saved low down from a long range shot from Greg Mills in the third minute, the first half hour was all about Corby, and after a succession of shooting attempts and corners, they  took the lead on 28 minutes as Wilson Carvalho buried his shot into the far corner after being set up by Ben Milnes, and only a superb last ditch tackle from Jack Vallis prevented Milnes from doubling the home sides advantage just before the break.

Frome started the second half brightly enough and a ball forward from a freekick saw Hulbert head back across goal to the unmarked Vallis who was tackled just as he was about to control and shoot, then in the 51st,  Frome had a goal disallowed for offside after Rhys Baggridge beat Paul Walker to the ball, but the flag went up straight away.

Corby then hit the post twice before they made it 2-0 in the 70th as a Carvalho shot was cleared by Jack Vallis only to be immediately driven home low and hard from 20 yards by Shane Byrne.

After Lewis Haldane had a shot go inches wide from 20yards in a rare Frome attack, Shane Byrne went close with a 25 yard volley and Corby substitute David Clarke should probably have done better in the 80th as he found himself clean through on goal.

The closing stages were all about Corby, and Chitty did well to save from Cleveland Taylor in the 87th, and produced an even more spectacular save as he tipped a Clarke shot over the bar at full stretch, but he was powerless to prevent Byrne scoring his second and Corby’s third as he curled the ball home from the edge of the area in the second minute of injury time.