Stay connected

‘We’ll be back!’ Fundraisers vow to return in wake of devastating world record news

FUNDRAISERS who broke a Guinness World Record, have vowed to return next year after being told that their attempt cannot be made official.

Earlier this month, 593 skittle players smashed the  world record for the highest number of players in a continuous eight-hour game of skittles, which stood at 468.

However, due to ‘human error’ no video footage was recorded of the event, which is required by Guinness to verify the world record. The company responsible, Site Eye, has issued a full apology and launched a full investigation.

The event – organised by local police sergeant and Frome Times Person of the Year 2018, Rachel Clark and her brothers, Matthew and Daniel – raised £1,710 for local charity We Hear You (WHY). 

Rachel said, “I am upset and hugely disappointed. The support from our community this year was immense, my team and I did all we needed to do to ensure the event was a success and that we broke the record, which we did. 

“Our skittle players, stewards and witnesses were incredible. Our record will not be official this year so I owe it to everyone that took part to return! We don’t give up on anything. 

“The Independent market has invited us back next June and I will organise the event again, we’ll break the record and we’ll ensure it’s official! 

“Site Eye were exceptional with our world record row and provided us with the 24hrs worth of footage we needed to secure the record. I have personally spoken to the company who have apologised and will be returning next year to ensure it is fully captured.

“We still raised vital funds and awareness for WHY and we will come back next year and break our own unofficial record! A huge thank you to everyone who took part or has sent me a message following the news, I am still receiving them now! I promise it will be bigger and better next year.”

A statement from WHY said, “Following the skittles world record attempt on Sunday 2nd June, we have been notified by Site Eye, the company hired to film the event that, due to human error, no footage has been recorded. Site Eye are conducting a full investigation into how this happened, and the engineer concerned has been suspended. Site Eye has provided technical support at a number of our events and their service has previously been exceptional. Whilst they cannot rectify what has happened, they have issued a full apology and account of their investigation.

“We are devastated to announce that without this vital evidence we cannot apply for verification from Guinness and therefore cannot officially claim the world record. We know that the community will be as disappointed as we all are, after the hard work and community spirit that made for such a great event.

“We are confident that we broke the record and have explored any other options to verify this record, but sadly Guinness specifically stipulate that video evidence must be supplied for the entire attempt.

“We want to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to everyone who supported this event. Rachel Clark is understandably upset by this news. However, with true grit and determination, Rachel is not giving up. Thank you once again for all of you support, it has been hugely appreciated by us and Team Clark.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *